Meditation has been practiced for thousands of years. It is often associated with spiritual practices, but its benefits for stress reduction is well documented. According to WebMD “Meditation is the practice of focusing your attention to help you feel calm and give you a clear awareness about your life”. A long discourse on meditation is unnecessary because the results are derived from practicing it not studying it, but if you want to learn more about meditationclick here.
Now that you know about the basics of meditation consider including one or all of the following types of meditation described by GAIAM Life into your stress busting arsenal:
1. Concentration Meditation– To practice this type of meditation a word, mantra, or focal point is concentrated on in order to invoke feelings of calm and relaxation.
2. Mindfulness Meditation– To practice this type of meditation thoughts are allowed to flow into and out of the mind without hindering their obstruction by judgments of good/bad, pleasant/unpleasant, and so on. By focusing on thinking patterns eventually thoughts are brought into a balanced flow like that of a river.
- Start small with (3-5 minutes or less)
- Understand what meditation can do for you if your dealing with stress, anxiety, irritability, or overthinking
- Understand the principles of meditation. Be aware of your thinking and be able to redirect your attention when your mind starts to drift from your focal point.
- Do meditation your own way
- Reduce all or nothing thinking
Start busting your stress today by implementing meditation into your stress reduction practice! Your health and well being depends on it.